Youth First Social Worker
2 months ago
By Mandy Ash
Ms. Leah Lottes serves as the Youth First Social Worker for Grades K-12 at Barr-Reeve Community Schools. Youth First social workers work with students individually and in groups to strengthen the lives of young people and their families through evidence- based programs that promote healthy behaviors, prevent substance abuse and maximize student success.
What does a Youth First Social Worker do?
- Helps students develop a positive attitude toward school and learning
- Helps students develop good relationships with peers, parents, teachers, and siblings
- Helps students improve their communication skills and develop effective decision-making strategies
- Helps students deal with personal concerns, developmental tasks, crises, school related problems, home concerns, health, and physical development
- Helps to ease the transition between school settings
- Plans and implements with teachers a program of activities designed to enhance the personal social/emotional development of students
How does a student see the counselor?
- Self referral
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative referral
- Special Services referral
- Referral by a friend
Why does a student see a counselor?
- To understand abilities and limitations
- To adjust to a new school
- To find answers to concerns
- To develop skills in getting along with others
- To adjust to family transitions
- To achieve in school
- To share friendship